This content originally published here.
You can listen to the podcast at the above link.
What does it mean to have creative freedom in your life? And what’s more, how do you get it? Our guest shows us how he and his family followed a surprising path to creative freedom, and how he is helping others do the same.
His name is Jared Latigo, and he is a personal development consultant who works with individuals, families, and companies in corporate settings. Jared’s writing has reached millions of readers through various online publications such as Addicted2Success, ThriveGlobal, MichaelHyatt.com, 48Days, ProBlogger, and Lifehack. He has also been able to work with companies like Stetson, Mountain Dew, Pier 1 Imports, and more.
Jared shares the journey he and his family took to becoming debt-free, and how it has allowed him to pursue a whole new path in life. You’ll learn why it’s important to have freedom in your life, all about the connection between creativity and being debt-free, how managing your money well sets you up for success as an entrepreneur, and so much more.
1. Financial wellness is a stewardship issue. It is easy to view our money as its own little “box” in our lives, but it’s intimately connected to every other area, including our creative work. Ultimately, it’s a matter of being a good steward or manager of what God has entrusted to us.
2. Getting out of debt can have a major impact on your ability to be creative and serve others. I asked Jared to come on the show because I wanted to explore the connection between debt and creativity, and he delivered! Jared laid out in clear detail how becoming debt-free has helped reduce stress and expand his family’s ability to explore new directions. It has also given him the freedom to try things that might now work.
3. The importance of having freedom in your life. We don’t often realize how much we are “shackled” to things that weigh us down and hold us back from achieving our dreams. It might be debt, a job you hate, or even a bad relationship. When you are free, you are able to do the things you want and start fulfilling the dreams God has for your life.
4. Getting control of your finances helps you be a better entrepreneur. Something we think, “If only I had a better job or more opportunities, then I could achieve my dreams.” But the reality is that our dreams begin right here, right now with what we have in the moment. Becoming a better manager of our resources, and being a better employee, will help us develop the skills to apply to our entrepreneurial efforts later on.
5. Develop an entrepreneurial mindset in your job. I love how Jared emphasized how we can think like an entrepreneur even while employed by someone else. In fact, that’s how we should think. We should be constantly finding ways to add value to our employer and make our organization more profitable and successful. It’s not only more fun to think this way, it’s also a great way to prove your value to the leaders above you.
6. You can quickly generate income. Jared mentioned several ways to generate income quickly: selling things you already have, getting a 2nd job, or taking on extra hours at work. Can you do any of these things to generate some income in the next month?